Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Vanity




van·i·ty
n. pl. van·i·ties

1. The quality or condition of being vain.

2. Excessive pride in one's appearance or accomplishments; conceit. See Synonyms at
conceit.

3. Lack of usefulness, worth, or effect; worthlessness.

4. a. Something that is vain, futile, or worthless. - b. Something about which one is vain or conceited.

5. A vanity case.

6. See
dressing table.

7. A bathroom cabinet that encloses a basin and its water lines and drain, usually furnished with shelves and drawers underneath for storage of toiletries.


I've been called vain a few times (See definition #2) and I think about it a lot. The words fester inside my head. Am I vain? I don't know. All I see is an insecure girl trying to feel a little better about herself. But when I read definition #3 I thought that I might agree with the accusation.

Yes, I dye my hair. I'm 35 and almost 50% gray. I'm not ready to be gray. Is that conceit? Maybe.

I have a desperate need to feel more feminine. I never expected to have to pluck gnarly chin hair or buy men's sandals because I have "Flintstone feet". I'm sporting 100 extra pounds since my young, thin days and feel as though I have "man hands". This is why I like to have my nails done. Anything to soften the manly features. I suppose that is vanity.

I'm 100 lbs. overweight. Where is the vanity in that? I suppose me going out in public to flaunt my fatness is vain. People do look. Hmmmmm

I don't feel like I have any "accomplishments" to be prideful about. (see #2 again). I rely mostly on my humor because I have no college education nor the eloquence that others do. Big groups make me feel uncomfortable and insecure (more than 3 people). Heaven forbid I should actually have to participate in an adult conversation about something of real value. Do I have the ability to do that or will I just look like a fool? I opt for sitting back and listening rather than putting myself out there to be embarrassed. I suppose that is some sort of vanity. Pretending to be something I'm not. It's interesting to hear how people perceive you and what you really are. Most of us are just a show. Why is it not okay to show that we're all vulnerable? Maybe we're all vain to some degree.

I don't do these superficial things to "impress" anyone. It's all for me to feel a little more confident. Is that wrong? Maybe.

3 comments:

Tasharoo said...

Okay, I won't ask why you didn't call while you were in town.

I think you are BEAUTIFUL and I feel in adequate around you and you have ALWAYS had BEAUTIFUL hands and nails! I've been envious since high school!

I LOVE YOU! I know you aren't changing for me! Take care of yourself!

T

Anonymous said...

Who's the idiot who called you vain? I want to take a baseball bat to their head!

I remember in high school being so envious of you too! There is nothing vain about wanting to feel good about yourself. Everyone does it differently. Some people think that means to wear dreadlocks, others wash their hair! ;) Let's go to the spa all day!!

Curly said...

The only definition of vanity I think applies to you is 8. I think you think this song is about you. Oh, how I crack myself up. Anyway, Grandpa's a crazy old coot. Sometimes I wonder if the little self-editing person in his head is drunk half the time. Or maybe he just is. :)